1. COME TO HEAR JEREMY CORBYN SPEAKING ON HIS RECENT VISIT TO GREECE at 6.30 on Wednesday 6 June. Jeremy Corbyn MP has just returned from Greece where, amongst other engagements he spoke at a 2,000 strong election rally in a northern Athens suburb. He will be sharing his experiences with a meeting of Greece Solidarity Campaign supporters and volunteers to discuss what we can do ‘between and after the elections’ in solidarity with the people of Greece. The meeting will be in the Discus Room of the UNITE Offices, 128 Theobalds Road, Holborn, WC1X 8TN (between Old Gloucester St and Boswell St – nearest tube Holborn, on Central and Piccadilly lines).
2. On Thursday 7 June at 7 pm there is a public meeting with film report, free and open discussion – ‘If they can win, we can win – anti-cuts groups in support of Greek people. Speakers include Harry Polycarpou (AKEL), Costas Douzinas (Syriza), Paul Mackney (GSC). Venue: Greek-Cypriot Centre, Britannia Road, London N12 9RU.
3. Interesting article by Nick Malkoutzis with latest Poll results – ‘Are the numbers starting to add up for Syriza?’ representing a major shift in his assessment of the strength of support for Syriza. http://insidegreece.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/are-the-numbers-starting-to-add-up-for-syriza/.
4. The Syriza battle plan is discussed here: ‘Tsipras sets out SYRIZA’s plan for rejecting memorandum’ – http://ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_01/06/2012_444972
5. On Sat 9 June 2012, 15.00-17.00pm, Vassilis K. Fouskas (Richmond University), Bülent Gökay, Keele University and Marina Prentoulis, UEA, speak on ‘The Fragmentation of the Euro-zone and the Unification of the Peoples’ – the first in a series of events aiming at raising awareness and boosting friendship among the peoples of South-Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean – at the North London Community Centre, Tottenham (Bruce Grove) 22 Moorfield Road London N17 6PY.
6. The Future is Now! Resistance 2012, 5th International Festival – Athens, 29-30 June & 1 July organized by the youth section of the Communist Organisation of Greece (KOE), at the Agricultural University of Athens. ‘Within the premises of the Agricultural university the camping of the festival – between Thursday 28.06 and Monday 2.07 – can host you for free.’ For further details contact Christos Giovanopoulos at firstname.lastname@example.org and on +30 6978 450 126.
7. Here’s hoping you are all enjoying your Jubilee extended weekend. The monarchy was foisted on Greece by foreign powers (especially Britain) and abolished after a referendum in 1974. In ancient times there had been Alexander the Great but the last Greek king was known, with no affection, as King Constantine the Little. The sharp amongst you will have noticed from the family photo of the Queen’s diamond jubilee lunch for royal families that, no doubt in a gesture of solidarity with the dispossessed of Greece, this self-styled King of the Hellenes was invited!
8. For a very useful Greek Listings newsletter, subscribe to: http://www.eugreeka.com/subscribe.
9. JOIN UP! Please use the form attached and send it to us if you or others wish to join the Greece Solidarity Campaign (GSC) as a supporter (free) or member (£1 per month). Obviously we prefer the latter and welcome any donations to fund our solidarity work. As a number of national unions and the South East Regional TUC have already, you can also affiliate an organisation.